The Surgical Assistant provides aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient. In addition to intraoperative duties, the surgical assistant also performs preoperative and postoperative duties to better facilitate proper patient care. The Surgical Assistant, during the operation, does so under the direction and supervision of that surgeon and in accordance with hospital policy and appropriate laws and regulations.
As a Surgical Assistant, you may perform you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
– Sterilize equipment and make sure that there are adequate supplies for surgery
– Provide retraction of tissue and organs for optimal visualization with regard to tissue type and appropriate retraction instrument and/or technique
– Assist in maintaining hemostasis by direct pressure, use and application of appropriate surgical instrument for the task, placement of ties, placement of suture ligatures, application of chemical hemostatic agents, or other measures as directed by the surgeon
– Close all wound layers (facia, subcutaneous and skin) as per surgeon’s directive
– Perform any other duties or procedures incident to the surgical procedure deemed necessary and as directed by the surgeon
Global Health Alliance Institute offers training classes for those who wish to become a surgical assistant!